Sunday 3 July 2011

Day Eleven

Day 11 – A book you hated

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. I read it a while ago but the sheer dullness of it left it's mark. I can't remember why I hated it so but the words tedious and boring come to mind. Plus I just didn't give a fig for anyone in it, I didn't like them, love them or hate them .. just nothing, no feelings whatsoever one way or another (except for a very slight irritation like an itch that can't be scratched away.) It's my own personal opinion that there are two versions of Madame Bovary, the one that nearly everyone else reads and enjoys and the bogus one that was foisted on me. All I thought at the end of it was .. 'I can never get that time back again' .. I could have read at least two far more interesting books, I could have learnt to play an instrument or done something worthwhile like sampled every ice cream that Ben & Jerry's make but no, it's too late, and there's a Madame Bovary shaped hole in my life, somewhen around 2003, where time stood still and the only sound heard was that of my brain crumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment