Thursday 17 March 2011

Flowers for Algernon

Synopsis: Charlie Gordon, IQ 68, is a floor sweeper, and the gentle butt of everyone's jokes, until an experiment in the enhancement of human intelligence turns him into a genius.

Review: I think I'll keep this one short (hooray I can hear you all saying), the key to reading this book is not to know any details of what happens to Charlie after he undergoes the operation which is hoped will greatly improve his intelligence. I had been wanting to read it for some time so was glad when the Book Club Forum Reading Circle picked it as their read for this month .. it gave me the nudge I needed.

More detailed reviews and opinions can be read here (**but there are plenty of spoilers and revelations so don't read unless you are happy to know the outcome**)

Reading Circle - Flowers for Algernon

I loved reading it and devoured it in a couple of sittings. Charlie narrates the whole story via his daily progress reports and you find yourself, within no time, rooting for him and hoping that everything will work out well. It gave me back my hope that I can read and enjoy science fiction novels as long as they're not too deep and complicated (science with a very small s in other words.)

No comments:

Post a Comment